Free Microsoft Exchange Tools That are Worth Your Time
Being an IT admin, you must have always wished for a smooth and well-managed Exchange environment. Exchange troubleshooting and administration does not have to be expensive, there are numerous free resources available for Exchange administrators to test, manage, and deploy their MS Exchange environments.
- ExMerge Utility Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Merge Program allows Exchange Server administrators to extract data from mailboxes on an Exchange Server computer. It then merges this extracted data into mailboxes on another Microsoft Exchange Server. The merging capability of this utility makes it extremely valuable, especially during disaster recovery. This tool is compatible with Exchange 5.5, Exchange 2000 and Exchange 2003.
- Scanpst.exe ScanPST is an inbox repair utility used to diagnose and repair the corrupted .pst file. This tool will restore the mails and folder data to their previous state. Scanpst.exe is installed with Outlook and can be used for almost every version of Outlook. The location of the .exe file is different for different versions.
- ESEUTIL Eseutil is used to restore or repair the damaged or corrupt Exchange database. It is a command line utility which is used to defragment the information store and directory store in Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 and to defragment the information store in Microsoft Exchange Server 2000 and 2003. Eseutil is located in the C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Bin folder in Exchange Server 2000 and in Exchange Server 2003.
- Microsoft Exchange Server Deployment Assistant Microsoft Exchange Server deployment assistant is developed by the Microsoft Exchange team to ease the deployment of Exchange 2010, 2013 and 2016. This web based tool helps you to deploy Exchange in your on-premises organization, migrate it to Office 365, or configure a hybrid deployment between your on-premises organization and Office 365. If you’re looking for a way to deploy Exchange 2016 to your organization with no existing Exchange deployments, Microsoft Exchange Server deployment assistant utility is for you. With this, you can even upgrade Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016.
- Microsoft Remote Connectivity Analyzer Microsoft remote connectivity analyzer is a blend of different tools merged into one. It helps you test and troubleshoot connectivity of Exchange Servers, Outlook, Lync, OCS, Office 365, and POP, IMAP, and SMTP email. You can use this tool to test the connectivity probabilities between remote clients and Exchange, configuration of certificates, provisioning of auto discover records, connectivity of mobile devices over ActiveSync and much more. Result of each test will provide complete information on where problems exist in your environment and how to resolve them.
- PFDAV Admin and ExFolders PFDAV
Admin is Exchange Server Public Folder Distributed Authoring
and Versioning based Administration tool, which is used
to perform numerous management tasks related to public
folders and mailboxes. This utility allows you to import/export
permissions and replica list in bulk. PFDAV Admin is
supported when running with Exchange 2000 Server, Exchange
Server 2003 and Exchange Server 2007.
ExFolders is just a port of PFDAVAdmin to Exchange 2010. It is a Microsoft tool that can connect to Exchange 2010 public folders through a GUI. It works with permissions on public folders and look at data on Exchange 2007 even though it runs on Exchange 2010. It can only connect to Exchange 2010 or Exchange 2007, but not to older versions.
- Jetstress Jetsress is a Microsoft utility used to verify the performance and stability of a disk subsystem prior to putting an Exchange 2013 or 2016 server into production. It stimulates disk Input/output load to verify disk performance. The operating systems supported by Jetsress includes Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, and Windows Server 2012 R2.
- SMTP logging/protocol logging In you are facing problems in sending or receiving messages outside of your internal mailboxes, then to resolve the issue you can use SMTP logging. SMTP logging or protocol logging is used to record the SMTP conversations that happens between messaging servers and between Exchange services in the transport pipeline. You can enable SMTP logging to diagnose mail flow problems.
Although, the above mentioned Microsoft Exchange tools are enough to provide you smooth and well-managed Exchange deployment, but if in case you think that these free solutions are not sufficient to solve your Exchange problems then you can also give a try to professional tools.
MS Exchange Server 2016 – Unveiling brand new features and enhancements!!
Ever since Microsoft has officially released the brand new version of Exchange server 2016, IT administrators and users across the globe are excited to have hands-on experience with this messaging application service.